Fabio Gutiérrez (M.A.) | Freelance Translation Professional English » Spanish, German » Spanish | Travel, Marketing, Business, HR, Education, Photography | Member of ITIA and BDÜ
- Professional freelance translation work since 2009 (full time since February 2011).
- An additional 11 years doing translations as part of my role as an international relations officer for a top Economics & Business School in Spain.
- I also worked in:
- a Human Resources department
- a library
- different positions within the Tourism and Transportation (airline) industry
- Master of Arts in Specialized Translation (University of Zaragoza, Spain, 2010).
- Certificate in Professional Translation English to Spanish (University of Toronto, Canada, 2008).
- Bachelor in Tourism Management (University Rey Juan Carlos, Madrid, Spain, 1990).
- Language-related certificates: Upper-advanced English (Ryerson University, Toronto, Canada, 2008), Zentrale Oberstufenprüfung (Goethe Institut, Germany, 2006), English Advanced Certificate (Cambridge University, UK, 2005).
- For end clients and service providers within my fields of expertise:
- A number of the above projects have involved localization of website content and/or reviewing translations performed by others.
- Addresses of websites I have translated (not subject to non-disclosure agreements) are available upon request.
- Visit the Client Feedback page to read some customer testimonials about my work.
Other professional highlights
- Member of the leading translators’ associations in Ireland (ITIA) & Germany (BDÜ), which carefully screen all applicants before admitting them as a member.
- Pro-bono work for different NGOs, in the fields of international cooperation & development, children, alternative economics, and water.
+ about my background and soft skills
- I have lived in Germany, Canada and different parts of Spain.
- Throughout my working life, I have been dealing with people from different cultural backgrounds (and enjoyed it!).
- I am aware of differences in culture and values, and how they affect language use.
- Instructor for cross-cultural management courses at the University of Zaragoza (Spain).
- Sound organizational skills.
- Able to deliver accurate work under pressure and tight deadlines, but…
- …I never take on more work than I am able to deal with. That is why I don’t miss deadlines!
- Windows 7 Professional on different systems. I can work with files created by any version of MS-Word, MS-Excel and MS-PowerPoint, as well as other formats like pdf, html, xml, InDesign and Open Office files, etc.
- Usage of translation-specific software tools (Trados Studio, Wordfast Pro, Passolo) to ensure quality work. These tools have nothing to do with automated translation services (machine translation). Instead, they should be seen as equivalent to any other software tool used by a relevant professional, such as MS-Excel by a sales controller, InDesign by a graphic designer or SAP by a business analyst.
- Glossary management software MultiTerm Desktop to build, maintain and manage glossary databases in connection with my translation work.
- Average capacity: 2,000–3,000 source words per day*, depending on the subject.
(* proofreading time not included)
» Go to the Contact